Tuesday 25 November 2008

Character designs

I've been practising drawing my characters, as well as designing them...

This pic was done with a black copic pen (brush nib) to see if I could emulate a ink brush look, but I wanted the ink to be more like paint, as in have more of a brush stroke effect.













This was done with watercolours. Along the lines of what I wanted, although I need more practise to get smoother lines. I might also make the characters simpler so it's easier to paint the lines, I still keep painting like I'm sketching!













These are some drawings of my character turnarounds, I'll probably develop these into a more stylistic rendition, so they're easier to paint. I also need to draw out the lion and bird, and wolf!



















I've done some basic sketches of the girl, although I'm still not happy with the outsome so I'm working on her.

Hopefully I'll be moving onto painting some BGs, when I get hold of my watercolours!

2 comments:

Qian's Gallery said...

my suggestions: your need to work on your character design a bit more. check out some great character designers. I think your characters are too "normal", you need something that can interest people. when you design them, do not just copy them from a photo, give them personalities and emotions, draw some facial expressions. Lion King would be a good examples for you, even know it is not the style you are doing. you need to work a lot harder.
check out 4mation website, there are many good short films.
good luck

Karen said...

Yeah, although I plan to try them with paint strokes, as I don't want to design something and it end up different because of the medium I'm using. I plan to simplify them further because they are, like you said, boring. Thanks!